Waxing the Tying Thread
The Beginning of a Fly
- Holding one end of the thread in your right hand, and the wax in your left hand, place the longer end of thread on top of the wax.
- With the thumb of your left hand, press the thread lightly into the wax, as shown. Note that the two hands are close together.
- Draw your right hand swiftly away from your left hand until the length of thread is waxed. (Drawing the thread through quickly melts the wax, which coats the thread more evenly and reduces adhesion and the likelihood of thread breakages.)
- Repeat at least once more.
- Not applicable to bobbin-holder users) Turn the thread round so that the unwaxed end may now be waxed in the same way.
Was this article helpful?